Five Tactics for Successful Hiring Without CVs
Does the CV really work for employers or candidates? Feedback from senior in-house recruiters at our recent roundtable events is that fewer and fewer companies are relying on the CV to identify right-fit talent.
In a digital world where we can accurately assess for fit-to-role, and predict future performance, the two-page adjective-stuffed curriculum vitae looks like a relic from a bygone age. Here’s why:
For candidates, whether they’re reaching for a new opportunity, moving into another industry or early on in their career, it’s frustrating to be restricted to the CV format. It’s as clear to them as to us that credentials on paper aren’t a predictor of their future performance.
So, what’s the alternative?
Recruitment technology transforms the way businesses hire and helps them create an exceptional candidate experience. Even without CVs, LaunchPad can sign-post right-fit candidates through a combination of, video interviewing, situational judgement tests and psychometrics. It’s also an engaging way to showcase your brand and personalise communications to candidates.
Here are our five tactics for getting started with CV-free recruiting.
1. Know your values: You’re recruiting for right-fit so make sure you understand how your company values link to employee behaviours as this will determine the assessments you use. Being explicit about your values in recruitment marketing (such as videos about corporate culture) gives candidates insight to progress or de-select themselves.
2. Select the right assessment: Relevance of the assessment tool is key to ensure you don’t screen out the right candidates. There is a huge variety of assessment available from coding to games and situational judgment tests. Decide on the right combination. Taking an objective look at your end-to-end recruitment process can help you see where you might need to make changes.
3. Go to video: One of our retail clients now has almost 100% attendance rates to interview having switched to video. Some of our clients go straight to video before assessment, using intelligent automation to sign-post right-fit candidates.
4. Set metrics: One of our hospitality clients switched from CVs to 10 online questions which resulted in a 45% increase in applications – and a better calibre of candidates. As a team, define metrics for success, and also within the process, like the target time to complete an application.
5. Standardise: Using a platform for recruitment means all candidates have the same experience wherever and whenever they are assessed - and regardless of the scale of your internal resource. Map out the candidate journey and ensure it’s consistent for all.
If you’d like to find out more about how LaunchPad can help you map out your end-to-end process and switch from CVs to tech-based recruitment, please get in touch.